Tuesday 9 January 2007

First impressions

I've been checking out the competition a little in my area (it pays to see who you're up against), and it's struck me just how little people actual think about how to sell themselves.

Your profile is the first impression Potentials see of you, so why so little thought as to how you come across? I mean, you wouldn't turn up on a first date without making a little effort to look your best, would you?

The worst offenders… Saying "I love to be wined and dined, and treated like a princess." Based on what I've heard from some of my Potentials, rightly or wrongly they read this as "I expect you to pay all the time" (and hey... *silently* we'd love that, but if they think you're worth it they'll pay - without the hint).

Starting your profile with the words "I'm just a (insert relevant occupation/lifestyle choice here)". Using the word 'just' instantly belittles what you do. Be proud ladies!

Saying "My friends would describe me as (insert some good qualities here)". OK, so your friends think you're the best thing since sliced bread. But how would YOU describe yourself? (Having said that, I'm going to ask my friends to describe me… I wonder what they'll say!)

Saying "I want somebody who treats me right". Right??? I'm guessing there's not a person in the world who'd like to be treated any other way. Although maybe their grammar is wrong, and what they're actually saying is "I want someone who treats me.... RIGHT!", which goes back to the first point!

The immortal words: "After a previous bad relationship... ". No, no, no, no, no… it's a golden rule of dating. You never *ever* talk about previous relationships until after at *least* 4 dates (Serious Pro Golfer… we're going to need to talk soon!). What you're saying to Potentials is you *could* well have issues - and issues scare men!

"I have no baggage". Well, in the age group I slot neatly into if you get to mid to late thirties without acquiring *some* kind of baggage you generally fall into one of two camps:
a) you either have no relationship skills at all (better to have loved and lost and all that!)
or
b) you're telling fibs!
Everyone has baggage of some kind, it's just that some people insist on dragging it around and spilling it's guts out everywhere they go!

People who say "I'd like to meet somebody with no baggage" - see above.

Girls... if you put down your best assets as being your large boobs, you're probably going to get a fair amount of attention from guys like this.

And finally, I now know why so many guys put the DVD/sofa/wine combo on their profile… it's because all the ladies have too!!

0 Comments: