Monday 30 July 2007

Social networking dilemma

Facebook...

I don't know if you lot use Facebook at all (well, I know some of you do because you're in my Friends list). If you don't use it, then this is basically how it works;

You open set up a profile, then it rummages about in your emails to find *anyone* you've ever emailed. They all get invited to be your Friend :/

Once you've established your little circle, you then start adding your Friend's Friends to your list (even if you only ever met them once at the end of a drunken night, and wouldn't recognise them again if they ran at you with a spade).

You can write wacky little messages on each others walls, and if you're really clever use the status facility (that's the bit where you broadcast to the world/Friends what you're going to have for your tea) to post 'secret' messages that people either understand, or they don't.

This can be immense fun, because you can gauge how nosey/curious people are by putting something pretty obscure on there, and wait for the one person who can resist finding out more to send you a message!

Anyway, I'm sure you're all technically savvy enough to know how it works. But what do you do when you add Potential to your little circle of Friends, but then it doesn't work out?

Well, this has happened to me now, and although I know the simplest thing is to simply remove the offending ex Potential, but it just seems so cruel. You get that little confirmation message "Are you sure you want to remove [insert name here]", which to me seems to sound like something you'd normally get the mafia* to do.

So, I have an ex Potential still hanging about in amongst my Friends list, which means I get to see his status, and vice versa. And worse, I can see what his Friends post on his wall. Ok, I *should* just not look, but curiosity does get the better of me.

So, at the moment I can see a one sided post date analysis (you only see what his Friends have posted, not his replies, so ).

It's bloody freaky I can tell you.

The moral of this story... Don't add Potentials to my circle of Friends (at least until you've had the 'where do you see us going' conversation and *are* actually going somewhere), or just stop using bloody Facebook.

Social Networking eh... great fun!

Other news... The Vic Reeves Lookalike. After my post yesterday I don't quite know how I did this, but I have convinced myself it's not going anywhere. Don't ask me why, but in true commitment phobe style I went through a series of scenarios, and have come to the conclusion that he probably isn't right for me.

If he calls maybe I'll rethink!

*I should point out, I have never *actually* got the Mafia to remove anyone. In fact, as far as I'm aware I don't even know any Mafia folk.

0 Comments: